Your health and dental benefits end the last day of the month in which your employment ends. Your MN Life Insurance and Long Term Disability plans end the date of termination. Please contact HR for information on all other benefit plan end dates. You may be eligible for continuation of coverage for up to 18 months (COBRA), or for retirement benefits if your employment began prior to January 1, 2007.
Some benefits offer portability options or continuation of coverage. Individuals electing portability options will be responsible for payment directly to the vendor.
- NCPERS - PERA Life Retiree Continuation: If the member is participating in the life insurance program at the time they retire, they may elect to remain active in the program after retirement. Employees who are not retiring may convert their plan directly though Prudential, but the rate/premium will be higher than $16.00.
- Supplemental MN Life Insurance: visit lifebenefits.com/continue or call Securian at 1-866-365-2374
- Policy number: 60000
- Access key: keepcoverage
- If you are retirement eligible:
- Visit the Preparing for Retirement page on the PERA website or call PERA at 651-296-7460.
- Start planning for retirement about five years ahead of time. 60-90 days before you retire, you will need to complete the Application for Retirement benefits. They will send you a Verification of Termination Form to be completed by Human Resources.
- If you are NOT retirement eligible:
- Check your PERA Handbook to determine if you are vested in PERA. Being vested means you qualify for benefits at a minimum allowable age.
- You may choose to apply for a refund of your contributions if you remain out of public employment for more than 30 days.
- If you leave PERA covered employment and are not vested, you will forfeit your member contributions and interest if you do not apply for a refund within five years after your last member contribution.
- Member Videos
This information is subject to change. Please visit the PERA website for the most up to-date, accurate information regarding your PERA benefits.
Members participating in deferred compensation plans should contact the carrier directly for information about retirement or separation from employment.
Certain employees with the City of Hibbing may have a Health Care Savings Plan (HCSP) with MSRS. After you leave public employment, you can access the money in your HCSP account - regardless of your age - to reimburse eligible medical expenses incurred by you, your spouse, legal tax dependents, and adult children up to age 26. Visit the MSRS website or call Participant Services at 1-800-657-5757 extension 5363.